Wednesday 22 June 2011

Yabby vs Fishtank Filter....

Hi all!

Mr Pinchy Pants has been a busy boy. The freshly cleaned tank of just 2 weeks is almost completely redecorated to his tastes....New "hills" and "caverns" are appearing daily, Rara is getting stronger by the day, you would think that he thinks the new filter is an excercise machine for him (it's like a fish version of the swim spa)...

Pinchy Pants figured out that he  can still fit his ever growing ass into the sunken ship, if he digs around the outside and pushes numerous objects around to get to the biggest opening, and I am pretty sure this is his new man cave, which most likely means that he is growing and will shed soon....he's eating like a horse too.

I have decided I need to get more scorpions, because all the crickets are going to die the rate Sweetpea is going...a week and a half and he has eaten one lol.

You may be asking what does all this blabber have to do with the title of this post? Well, nothing really. But I will now tell you what happened...

I get up for work at around 5:45 most mornings. So as you can imagine, the last thing I am thinking about before I got to work is what Mr Pinchy Pants is up to. So, this morning, nothing un usual, didn't check the tank.

I finish work at around 3:35 everyday, get home around 3:50, take up my usual spot on the couch (which the tank is now next to) and relax for a bit....I did that today...looked in the tank... no Mr Pinchy Pants.
Now don't get me wrong, I know he can't escape, my tank has a lid. So where the hell was he? I looked in the ship...not there, I thought he may have dug himself a cave along the back of the tank, nothing.
Next minute I look up. Here is Mr Pinchy Pants, in between the wall of the tank and the filter. He wasn't moving.... I automatically think, "Is he dead? What the hell is he doing?" So, I gently tap the side of the tank. Thank God, he's alive. So I think "I will open the lid." Because usually when I do that he freaks out and gets back in his cave....he didnt move.

So I am thinking, " Am I game enough to stick my hand in there and move the filter, see if he's stuck?" the dilemma being, if he is just being lazy and wants to stay there, he will lunge at me and I will most likely get clawed....so I take a deep breath, and stick my hand in.

The wally had gotten a couple of his legs stuck in the side of the filter. I am so not grabbing him to get them out. So I gently shake the filter from side to side (really gently, as the filter is suction-cupped to the side of the tank anyway, so it was more like tilting it from side to side) and he is free. Acting like nothing had happened.

Meanwhile, I am wracked with guilt.. How long has he been stuck in there? Is he hurt?  Has he been stuck in that filter since last night? Why don't I check on him in the mornings?

But he is fine, no missing appendages, no limping. But I decided to move the filter a little further from the corner of the tank in case he decides to climb up there again, at least he won't get far enough up there to get his legs caught.
On that note, that is about it from me tonight guys!
Peace out :)

1 comment:

  1. Thank goodness Mr. Pinchy Pants is okay!
    How awful and scary for him.
    He's so brave to handle such an ordeal.
    Also happy to hear Rara is booming with health!

    ReplyDelete